Getting bored of stock ROM on your phone? Is your phone getting slow day by day? Is your device manufacturer not providing software updates anymore? Want to explore the world of custom ROM’s? If your answer is YES, then congrats! You are at right place, my friend.
The journey towards flashing custom ROMs begins with the first baby step – unlocking the bootloader. Now, some manufacturers already provide phones with unlocked bootloaders for ex. Nexus phones by Google. But, if you have Moto manufactured device then its bootloader will already be locked.
For those who don’t know what a bootloader is? The bootloader is a piece of code which executes even before the operating system loads up and instructs OS how to boot up. Moto has been pretty good at providing the OTA updates over the years but still, they abandon you after 2-3 software updates. Maybe you are like me, the person who wants to get all the new features as soon as they come out. There is a solution this problem – custom ROM’s.
There are tons of custom ROM’s available on the internet with full of custom features with latest Android integration. The most popular of them is CyanogenMod. Almost of all the Moto devices is supported by CM ROM’s. But, before you can try it out you need to perform certain steps. Unlocking bootloader is the first one. So, how to unlock the bootloader of Moto phones? Well! the process is quite simple and similar to all the Moto devices.
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader is not for the faint of heart. It will void any warranty your phone has. Unlocking bootloader and installing your own may also cause physical damage, the device stops working or also result in losing some functionality.
Read the above lines? They might sound scary but don’t worry. Here I am going to explain it in detail and if you follow the steps correctly your phone will be safe.
Here is a list of requirements that you will require before proceeding any further.
- ADB and Fastboot.
- Backup of your data (Like images, videos, and messages).
- Motorola Device Drivers.
- A Motorola Account.
- USB cable.
- At least 60% battery.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Moto Phones
The process is identical for all the Motorola devices. No matter if you have Moto G 2013 or Moto G4 Plus from 2016, it’s all the same.
Warning: Make sure you have backed up all of your data because unlocking bootloader will erase everything from your device.
- You will need to Enable Developer options, for that: Go to Settings→ About phone→ tap on Build number for 7 times and voila! You have enabled developer options successfully.
- Now, go back to settings homepage and open Developer options and Enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Next, you will need to Install and run Minimal adb and fastboot.
- Now, connect your device to PC and type this command:
adb reboot bootloader
Make sure to pay attention to your phone, it may ask you for permission – whether to trust debugging access from your computer or not. Give the permission and your phone will reboot into fastboot mode.
- Next, type this command:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
and hit enter.
- The above command will give you the string, which will help you to unlock your device, to copy it right-click on the command prompt select Mark, then by using mouse, mark the whole string, press left-click to copy (or any other method you use, that works).
- Now, open Notepad and paste the string, make sure to remove all the spaces in between and copy it.
- Sign in to your Motorola account and scroll down to step 6 and then paste the string that you have just copied from Notepad and click on can my device be unlocked? button.
- Now, scroll down to bottom, if your device is unlockable then a blue Request Unlock Key button will appear, agree to the terms and click Request Unlock Key.
- After requesting, Motorola will send you the unlock key to your registered E-Mail address.
- Copy the unlock code from your E-Mail and go back to command prompt.
- I am assuming your phone is still in fastboot mode, if not, follow the step 3 and reboot it to bootloader, and type:
fastboot oem unlock unlock_code
here replace the unlock_code with the key you got in your E-Mail and hit enter.
Now, your phone will unlock.
- After unlocking, your device will reboot and you will see a screen with a WARNING BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED message just like in the image below.
This is it, the whole process to unlock the bootloader of Moto phones. Now, you are ready for the next step in the journey towards installing the custom ROM. If you still have any questions feel free to comment down below, we would be happy to help.