Windows is the most popular desktop operating system to date. Almost over 1.5 billion people use Windows worldwide. It became very popular because of graphical and easy to use interface. Microsoft made a fortune by this product.
Windows has released many of Windows versions till date. Windows 10 is the newest of all. Microsoft wants us all to update to their newest operating system. But still, many folks uses their old Windows Vista or Windows 7 OS. Microsoft has removed support for old versions of Windows OS.
So, many people want to update to latest Windows 10. Old versions of Windows like Windows 7 or 8 automatically downloads it in the background and it’s installation pretty much take care of itself. But, many folks wants to try it on their old PC.
Maybe you do too, might be your laptop got slow and you want to install the brand new operating system to fasten things up a bit. Or maybe you want to upgrade Windows from Home to Pro. You might also have the ISO file of Windows 10, but you don’t know how to install it? The trickiest part of this installation process is to make a bootable USB drive of windows 10. So how do you do it?
No need to worry friends, here I am going to explain in detail how can you create a bootable media device for OS installation.
How to Make a Bootable USB Drive of Windows 10?
There is actually lots of methods by which you can make a USB drive bootable. But, here I am going to explain 3 of the simplest and easiest methods. The first method is to use third party software called Rufus. Rufus can be used not only to create bootable USB drives of Windows but also others like Ubuntu, Linux etc.
The second method doesn’t require any of the special software, it needs only command prompt. With the help of few commands in cmd and you are good to go. The third method is to use media creation tool. So, let’s start with the first method.
Method 1: Using Rufus
This is the easiest way to make a bootable USB drive of windows 10.
- Download Rufus from here.
- Go to Downloads and open rufus.exe.
- Plug in your USB drive (rufus will automatically detect and select the USB drive).
- Choose ISO image from the drop down menu at the line that reads Create a bootable disk using.
- Select your ISO image using the button next to it.
- Leave the other options as defaults (check the image below as reference).
- Click start.
It will take some to finish, after finishing eject the USB drive. Congrats, you have successfully made a bootable USB drive.Now you can use it to install Windows 10 on your PC as well as on others.
Method 2: Using Command Prompt
This is a bit hard method to execute. But, if you have experience with terminal then this is quite easy. Just follow the instructions below:
- Open the command prompt by pressing Win key + R, type cmd and hit enter.
- Plug in your USB and type:
- A new terminal window will appear in that type:
then hit enter.
- Now, you need to select your disk, type:
select disk #
(here # is a number of your USB drive for ex. mine is 1; as you can see in above image).
- Then, you need to clean USB drive type:
then hit enter.
- Now, you will need to create a bootable partition. So, type:
create partition primary
and then press enter.
- Select the created partition, type:
select partition 1
- Now, type
to activate the selected partition then press enter.
- After that, you will need to format the USB drive. So, type:
then press enter.
- To assign the letter to USB drive type
then press enter.
- The last step is to copy all the Windows 10 files to USB drive (You can do it by extracting the ISO file using any decompression tool like Winrar or 7zip or you can directly copy it from Windows 10 disk).
That is it! You have created bootable Windows 10 USB drive which is now ready to install on any PC.
Method 3: Using Media Creation Tool
It is a tool provided by Microsoft to users create a bootable media of Windows 10. You can learn more about media creation here.
- Download media creation tool from here.
- Go to downloads and run it.
- Select Create installation media for another PC.
- Select language and version of Windows 10 you wish to install and hit Next.
- Now, select USB flash drive and hit next.
This is it, the three easiest methods to make a bootable USB drive of Windows 10. If you have any questions fell free to comment down below. Suggestions and feedbacks are welcomed.