Keeping shortcuts of installed programs on the desktop is always handy. Otherwise, we would have to find every programs installation path in order to start it. But for some system programs, we must have their icons ready on the desktop. For example, System programs like Windows file explorer or Recycle Bin. We need them every now and then.
Previous versions of Windows use to have these icons on the desktop by default. But, this is not the case anymore with newer versions of Windows. If have done a clean installation of Windows or you might have accidentally deleted these icons from your desktop. Then, you will need to use keyboard shortcuts. But it does not sound really efficient. Also, creating shortcuts of such programs is not an easy task.
Windows actually have the option to add such icons on your desktop; but, it is not easy to found. So, here we have explained how can you add such icons on your desktop. The method we are going to explain below is really easy. So, let’s get right into it.
How to Add Icons to Desktop in Windows 10?
Adding icons on the desktop in Windows 10 is a really simple task. Just follow the procedure mentioned below and you are good to go.
- Go to start menu and click on Settings.
- In settings go to Personalization→Themes.
- Now, in themes click on Desktop icon settings.
- Now, a small prompt box will open, containing list and icons of essential programs that you wish to add on the desktop.
- Tick the box which you want to add on your desktop and click on Apply and then click OK.
This is it, now you can add any icons you wish to add on the desktop by using this simple procedure. Now, we will learn about adding icons to desktop in Windows 8 and 8.1. The method adding icons on the desktop is slightly different than Windows 10.
Note: You can rename This PC to good old My Computer by right-clicking on it and choosing rename.
How to Add Icons to Desktop in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1?
- Right-Click on your desktop and click on Personalize.
- Now, click on Change desktop icons on the left panel.
- A small window will prompt, from there you can choose which icons to show on desktop.
This procedure also works with older versions of Windows like Windows XP. We hope this article has been helpful to you. If you still have any questions or doubts, you can comment them down below. We would be happy to help.